Club Information

Judo began in Fort Saskatchewan in the fall of 1970. The instructors were Robert Grunewald and John Van Doorn. The club was named “Tolide Judo Kwai”, which is Japanese for “Fort Judo Club”. The club’s current instructor, Keith Bibbey, has been an instructor with Tolide since 1979.

Judo is a combative sport that uses throws, holds, chokes, and locking techniques to defeat an opponent.

The founder of Judo was Professor Jigoro Kano who was born in Mikage, Japan in 1860. His family moved to Tokyo where he joined the Teshin Shin ‘yo Ryu school of JuJitsu. He later studied Seigo-Ryu and Sekiguchi-Ryu JuJitsu. Professor Kano became frustrated by the lack of principles at these schools and decided to develop his own martial art utilizing effective techniques applied with the sound principles of physics.

Kano called his martial art Judo.  Judo translated means “the gentle way”, referring to the way the techniques uses the opponents motion and strength against him. Judo had its humble beginnings in June, 1882 in Toyko. The first practice hall (dojo) was founded at the Eishoji Temple. This small dojo was to become the mother school of Judo, known today as The Kodokan.

Kodokan Judo was introduced to the rest of the world by Kano and his students.  It quickly gained popularity and is now practiced in more than 100 countries.

In 1964, Judo was introduced as an Olympic sport and it was the first martial arts in the Olympics.